Let’s face it. We’re hardy New Englanders. We can handle a lot and we’re used to the fickle weather patterns. Winter was warm, spring has been cool and experts are predicting that summer will be HOT! How can you beat the heat this summer and save energy at the same time? Read on for some simple tips to reduce your electric bill.
OUR TIPS TO REDUCE YOUR ELECTRIC BILL
- Close your blinds. Simple as that. Draw those blinds before you walk out the door (even if you have a central air conditioner) Pay attention to the direction of the sun and consider light blocking fabric.
- Change the filter in your AC system. Filters should be changed at minimum every three months but to save energy you should also have your air conditioning system cleaned and serviced annually as well. This could reduce your utility bills by up to 30%.
- Unless you have a ductless mini split system which allows you to easily select which rooms you want to heat or cool, Close those Doors! If you’re spending the day in the family room, why run waste energy cooling the bedrooms. With ductless systems, there’s no need to shut off different areas of your home and because Mitsubishi ductless systems are so energy efficient, MASS Save is now offering some amazing rebates.
- Summer is a great time to cook outdoors. Use your grill and give those heat producing energy hogs a rest!
- Replace every thermostat with a programmable thermostat or a Wi-Fi Thermostat (professional installation recommended) Not only are there rebates available from MASS SAVE, a programmable thermostat will reduce your electric bill all year round!
- Turn off the Lights – Who remembers our parents saying “Do you think we own the electric company?” That’s because electricity is expensive! Shut off those lights. Enjoy the summer sunshine!
- Consider running your washer and dryer on off peak hours – or hang your laundry outside! Also consider replacing your old appliances with Energy Star rated products to increase energy efficiency and save on your water bills! And please remember if you have a vinyl dryer vent, not only are these not up to code, these vents need to be replaced immediately due to the potential fire hazard.
- Leaks is your AC ductwork are sometime the culprit when it comes to energy loss. With improperly sealed ductwork that cool air your AC system is working so hard to produce is leaking through your ducts instead of cooling your home properly – this taxes your system and wastes money. If you suspect a ductwork leak, call Morris Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning today for a thorough inspection.
- If you do decide you can’t take another year dealing with window AC units and you would like to invest in central air, remember a few simple tips – those systems with a higher SEER rating (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) and EER Rating (Energy Efficiency Ratio) will operate more efficiently than those without.
- High efficiency heat pumps are an excellent option for customers who want to be cool this summer. According to Energy.gov, high efficiency heat pumps not only dehumidify better that traditional AC systems, they reduce your electric bill.
For a free estimate on a high efficient air conditioning system, dehumidification products or more energy saving tips, Call Morris Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning at (978) 961-0338 or click here.